State-Level Race and Hispanic Origin Population Estimates: 1981-2012
The analysis of racial/ethnic cancer rates with SEER*Stat is typically limited by the availability of detailed race/ethnic population data from the Census Bureau. For years prior to 1990, the Census Bureau has only provided county-level population estimates for White, Black, and “Other” races. However, the Census Bureau also developed state-level population estimates for more race/ethnic groups (White, Black, American Indian/Alaska Native, Asian/Pacific Islander by Hispanic origin). These state-level estimates were produced for five-year age groups and sex. Using the methodology described below, we have modified the state estimates to produce sex-specific, single year of age population data for White, Black, American Indian/Alaska Native, Asian/Pacific Islander, Hispanic, non-Hispanic, White Hispanic, White non-Hispanic, non-White Hispanic, non-White non-Hispanic groups.
Investigators should carefully review their results when using these new state-level race/ethnic population estimates, however, since they have not yet been as widely used and scrutinized as the annual county-level NCI-modified Census Bureau populations routinely used in SEER*Stat.
The following steps were taken to create the 1981-1989 state-level population estimates for White, Black, American Indian/Alaska Native and Asian/Pacific Islander groups by Hispanic origin, sex and single year of age:
- Using the 1981-1989 data years from the 1969-2012 NCI-modified Census Bureau population estimates, one record was created by year, state, sex and single year of age for races White, Black and Other. by summing over the county-level estimates. For information on the methods used to create the 1969-2012 NCI-modified Census Bureau county level estimates, see Population Estimates Used in NCI's SEER*Stat Software.
- Using state-level estimates for 1981-1989 that were obtained from the Census Bureau (see 1980s: State Tables), proportions of race and Hispanic origin were calculated by year, state, sex and five-year age group. The following proportions were calculated:
- Non-Hispanic American Indian/Alaska Native to Total Other
- Non-Hispanic Asian/Pacific Islander to Total Other
- Hispanic American Indian/Alaska Native to Total Other
- Hispanic Asian/Pacific Islander to Total Other
- Hispanic White to Total White (Hispanic White + Non-Hispanic White)
- Hispanic Black to Total Black (Hispanic Black + Non-Hispanic Black)
- The proportions obtained were applied to the state-level estimates generated in the first step by year, state, sex and age. The proportion for a five-year age group was applied to the individual ages in that age group.
- Estimates for non-Hispanic White were calculated by subtracting the Hispanic White from total White by year, state, sex and age. Similarly, estimates for non-Hispanic Black were calculated by subtracting the Hispanic Black from total Black.
- The new estimates were adjusted to correct for rounding error so that the sum of the new race and Hispanic origin estimates matched the state level estimates created in the first step.
The 1990-2012 NCI-modified Census Bureau county-level estimates were summed to the state level by year, race, Hispanic origin, sex and single year of age.
The new state level data for 1981-1989 and 1990-2012 were merged into one file. A separate file was create by summing the single year of age data into five year age groups (19 groups). The two files of state-level population estimates for White, Black, American Indian/Alaska Native, and Asian/Pacific Islander groups by sex and single year of age/five-year age group (19 groups) were added to the Web site and made available in SEER*Stat.
Two sets of population estimates are available for 2005: the standard set based on July 1 populations and another set adjusted for population shifts due to hurricanes Katrina (August 29) and Rita (September 24). These estimates are lower than the values for counties/parishes that had direct hurricane impact and higher for counties/parishes that were destinations for those displaced. See Adjusted Populations for the Counties/Parishes Affected by Hurricane Katrina and Rita for more information.