New Malignancies Among Cancer Survivors: SEER Cancer Registries, 1973-2000
This monograph describes and quantifies the risk of developing new malignancies among more than 2 million cancer survivors for the period 1973 to 2000, utilizing data from the National Cancer Institute’s Surveillance, Epidemiology and End Results (SEER) Program cancer registries. With chapters organized according to the initial site of cancer, the monograph provides data on the risks of subsequent malignancies for more than 50 adult and 18 childhood cancers, including new data on uncommon sites and individual histologic types. NCI researchers systematically examined the risks of subsequent cancers by gender, age at diagnosis of the initial cancer, and time since diagnosis, as well as the initial treatment and histologic type of certain cancers. Each chapter compares the patterns of multiple cancers with the findings from other studies, and discusses the results in terms of potential risk factors and mechanisms.
The monograph is provided in Portable Document Format (PDF). You may also order a printed copy of the book.
Monograph Chapters (PDF Files)
- Title, Acknowledgments, Table of Contents, and Contributors - 104KB
- Introduction -101 KB
- Methods - 80 KB
New Malignancies Following:
- Cancer of the Buccal Cavity and Pharynx - 325 KB
- Cancer of the Digestive Tract, Excluding Colorectal Cancer - 355 KB
- Cancer of the Colon, Rectum, and Anus - 281 KB
- Cancer of the Respiratory Tract - 299 KB
- Breast Cancer - 230 KB
- Cancer of the Cervix Uteri, Vagina, and Vulva - 204 KB
- Cancer of the Uterine Corpus and Ovary - 234 KB
- Cancer of the Male Genital Tract - 242 KB
- Cancer of the Urinary Tract - 252 KB
- Cancer of the Bone and Soft Tissue, and Kaposi Sarcoma - 224 KB
- Melanoma of the Skin, Eye Melanoma, and Non-melanoma Eye Cancer - 220 KB
- Cancer of the Brain and Central Nervous System - 134 KB
- Cancer of the Thyroid and Other Endocrine Glands - 632 KB
- Hodgkin Lymphoma, Non-Hodgkin Lymphoma, and Myeloma - 319 KB
- Following Leukemia - 232 KB
- Childhood Cancer - 191 KB
- Appendix 1: Cumulative incidence of developing a second cancer
cumulative probability of death due to competing causes, by site of initial
cancer, SEER 1973-2000 - 78 KB
- Appendix 2.A: Initial primary cancer site definitions - 43 KB
- Appendix 2.B: Subsequent primary cancer site definitions - 44 KB
- Appendix 2.C: All subsequent cancers excluding same-site definitions - 42 KB
- Appendix 2.D: Histology/primary site group definitions - 39 KB
- Monograph Cover - 92 KB
Download monograph in single file - 3.1 MB
Curtis RE, Freedman DM, Ron E, Ries LAG, Hacker DG, Edwards BK, Tucker MA, Fraumeni JF Jr. (eds). New Malignancies Among Cancer Survivors: SEER Cancer Registries, 1973-2000. National Cancer Institute. NIH Publ. No. 05-5302. Bethesda, MD, 2006.
Citation for a chapter should also include the chapter authors and chapter title.
All material in this report is in the public domain and may be reproduced or copied without permission; citation as to source, however, is appreciated.
Download the fact sheet, New Malignancies Among Cancer Survivors: SEER Cancer Registries, 1973-2000 (PDF).