Data & Software for Researchers
About the SEER Data
SEER research data is released every Spring based on the previous November's submission of data. The current release includes data for cases diagnosed between 1973-2010, and is based on the November 2012 data submission from 18 SEER registries, who contribute cases from different years of diagnoses based on when they joined the SEER program. For more information, see Registry Groupings for Analyses and Population Characteristics.
Use SEER data to address multiple issues, for example:
- Examine stage at diagnosis by race/ethnicity.
- Calculate survival by stage at diagnosis, age at diagnosis, and grade or size of tumor.
- Determine trends and incidence rates of cancers at various sites over time.
- SEER*Stat version 8.1.2 (9/9/2013)
- Statistical software that provides a convenient, intuitive mechanism for the analysis of SEER and other cancer-related databases. It is a powerful personal computer tool to produce statistics for studying the impact of cancer on a population.
- SEER*Prep software version 2.5.2 (3/28/2013)
- Software that converts user-supplied ASCII text data files to the SEER*Stat database format, allowing analysis of population-based registry data using SEER*Stat.
- Health Disparities Calculator (HD*Calc) version 1.2.4 (10/29/2013)
- An extension of SEER*Stat designed to generate multiple summary measures to evaluate and monitor health disparities.
There are several Analytic Software tools that have been developed for the analysis and reporting of cancer statistics.
Documentation & Recodes
The Data Documentation & Variable Recodes provide information related to reporting and using SEER data and other data sets.
Download the printable Accessing SEER Data fact sheet [PDF - 1.3 MB].