SEER*Stat MP-SIR Exercise 1c: Generate a Case Listing Table
In Multiple Primary - Standardized Incidence Ratios (MP-SIR) Exercise 1a, you used the MP-SIR session to conduct an analysis of events that occur for the cohort defined by an index record. In this exercise, create a case listing table showing all records for subjects in the cohort who have an event of malignant bone and joint cancer.
To get started, extract the session from the matrix created in Exercise 1a.
Key Points and Reminders
- Several variables are automatically included in an MP-SIR case listing, such as, patient ID, SEER registry, selected events, event number, reason for exit, age at diagnosis, calculated age at event, calculated sequence number, calculated person time, and months since index.
- The case listing can be limited to subjects with an event that matches the selected event(s). If this option is not checked, the listing will include all records for all subjects in the cohort (all subjects matching the index record). In this analysis, that would be all records for 49,210 individuals.
- The listing can be sorted by index record variables or first event record variables. The first event is the first subsequent cancer matching a selected event. The sort variables are automatically included in the case listing. The records are always grouped by person, regardless of the sort variables. That is, patient identifiers do not need to be used as sort variables.
Step 1: Open Exercise 1a's Matrix & Retrieve the Session
- Start SEER*Stat.
- From the File menu select Open > MP-SIR File or use the on the toolbar.
- Open the file saved in exercise 1a. The filename should be "MPSIR Exercise 1a.smm".
- If you did not save the output for exercise 1a, you may open our version of the output: Exercise Matrix 1a Results.
- From the Matrix menu, select Retrieve Session.
- Two windows should now be open. Close the matrix window containing the results calculated in exercise 1a. You should now have one window labeled "MP-SIR Session-x" where x is the number of MP-SIR session windows that you have created since starting SEER*Stat.
Step 2: Edit the Parameters (Parameters Tab)
- Move to the Parameters Tab.
- Set the Latency field in the Cut-Points for Time-Dependent Variables box to blank. This setting is ignored in a case listing analysis.
Step 3: Select the Events (Events Tab)
- Move to the Events Tab.
- Use the Clear button below the Events: box to clear the selected events.
- Select "Bones and Joints" from the list of events.
Step 4: Select the Statistic (Statistic Tab)
- Move to the Statistic Tab.
- In the Statistic box, select Case Listing.
- Make sure the "Limit to Subjects With an Event for Display" is checked.
Step 5: Set the Display Variables (Table Tab)
- Notice that the controls are different on the Table Tab when Case Listing is selected on the Statistic Tab. In addition, the Display Variables set in Exercise 1a have been cleared.
- Add the following variables to the column dimension:
Primary Site - labeled
Histologic Type ICD-O-3
Behavior recode for analysis
SEER historic stage A
- To sort the listing by histology from the first event record, select "Histologic Type ICD-O-3" from the Recommended Variables box, then select "First Event" from Sort Record Type and click the Sort button.
- There is a Recommended Variables box containing a short list of commonly used variables for quicker access. These variables are still accessible in their normal categories in the Available Variables box.
Step 6: Specify a Title (Output Tab)
Enter the following title on the Output Tab:
SEER 9, 1973-2012 MP-SIR, Multiple Event Analysis
Cohort: Malignant Brain and Other Nervous System, First Primaries Only
Case Listing of Subjects With At Least One Bone and Joint Event
Sorted By Histology of Bone and Joint First Event
MP-SIR Exercise 1c
Step 7: Execute SEER*Stat
- Use the or select Execute from the Session menu to execute the session. (Execute Offline is a 3rd option available and has been explained in previous exercises.)
- A dialog will display the progress of the job. When the job completes a new window will open containing the output table or matrix.
Step 8: The Results Matrix
- Use the Save As command on the File menu to save the matrix. Enter "MPSIR Exercise 1c" as the filename. SEER*Stat will assign the "slm" extension to indicate that this is a "SEER*Stat Case Listing Matrix" file.
- Compare your results to this SEER*Stat matrix file: Exercise Matrix 1c Results.
- The Case Listing Results Matrix section of the help system contains more information about the SEER*Stat matrix and its features.