Myelodysplastic/myeloproliferative neoplasm, unclassifiable
Help me code for diagnosis year :
For cases prior to 2010, Chronic myeloproliferative disease, NOS (9960/3) was used for the generic disease description.
For cases diagnosed 2010+, code 9975/3 is used for MPN, NOS as well as a new NOS for myeloproliferative neoplasm, unclassifiable and myelodysplastic/myeloproliferative syndrome unclassifiable (MPN, U) that became effective for cases diagnosed 1/1/2010.
The NOS is usually a provisional diagnosis and the physician will run further diagnostic procedures to identify specific clinical presentations to identify a more specific disease. Further review of the medical record should be done to look for the tests listed as definitive diagnosis.
When the disease is diagnosed very early, it may manifest symptoms of two or more specific myeloproliferative neoplasms. A specific MPN will manifest when the disease progresses and symptoms appear for that disease. When a more specific diagnosis becomes available, change the histology code to the more specific MPN code as directed in the Hematopoietic manual.
There are three groups of early stage MPN, U:
1) Early stages of polycythemia vera, primary myelofibrosis, or essential thrombocythemia in which the characteristic features are not yet fully developed.
2) Advanced disease in which pronounced myelofibrosis, osteosclerosis, or transformation to a more aggressive stage masks the underlying disorder.
3) Evidence of an MPN where a coexisting neoplastic or inflammatory disorder obscures some of the diagnostic clinical and/or morphologic features.
Specific myeloproliferative neoplasms (MPN) include:
1. Chronic eosinophilic leukemia, NOS (9964/3)
2. Chronic myelogenous leukemia BCR-ABL1 positive (9875/3)
3. Chronic neutrophilic leukemia (9963/3)
4. Essential thrombocythemia (9962/3)
5. Mast cell leukemia (9742/3)
6. Mast cell sarcoma (9740/3)
7. Polycythemia vera (9950/3)
8. Primary myelofibrosis (9961/3)
9. Systemic mastocytosis (9741/3)
Specific myelodysplastic/myeloproliferative neoplasms include (MDS/MPN):
1. Atypical chronic myeloid leukemia BCR-ABL1 negative (9876/3)
2. Chronic myelomonocytic leukemia (9945/3)
3. Juvenile myelomonocytic leukemia (9946/3)
4. Refractory anemia with ringed sideroblasts associated with marked thrombocytosis (9982/3)