GlossarySee Full Entry

Tongue: The tongue is a mobile mass of striated muscle covered by mucous membrane. It attaches to the floor of the mouth and practically fills the oral cavity. Functions of the tongue are mastication, deglutition (swallowing) and articulation (in reference to speech). It also has the faculty for producing the sense of taste.

Abstractor Notes
Squamous cell carcinoma constitute 90% of all malignant tumors of the tongue. The other 10% are made up primarily of lymphoepitheliomas and lymphosarcomas.