Cancer Epidemiology in Older Adolescents and Young Adults 15 to 29 Years of Age, Including SEER Incidence and Survival: 1975-2000
This monograph is the first to collect detailed information about cancer incidence and outcomes in adolescents and young adults (AYA). It was developed to gather population-based incidence, mortality, and survival data specific to cancers that occur in the AYA population, along with epidemiological data and risk factors for the development of age-specific cancers. We believe this monograph will help educate medical providers and the public about cancer incidence and survival in this age group, and provide the impetus for further research to improve the survival and the quality of life of these young people.
This publication was prepared by the NCI's SEER Program and the Children’s Oncology Group (COG), with special assistance from the Adolescent and Young Adult (AYA) and Epidemiology Committees, volunteer editors and authors from the NCI, NCI-sponsored adult cancer cooperative groups (Southwest Oncology Group, Eastern Cooperative Oncology Group, Cancer and Leukemia Group B, National Surgical Adjuvant Breast and Bowel Program, American College of Surgeons Oncology Group), and NCI-Designated Comprehensive Cancer Centers.
The monograph is provided in Portable Document Format (PDF). You may use the PDFs to view or print the chapters, or you may order a printed copy of the book.
Errata (updated 2/28/2007): Please note that Table 8.1, Figures 9.4, 9.8,
9.9, 13.5, 14.6, 14.10, 14.13, 14.14, 14.15 and relevant
text have been updated on the on-line version only. Please
download the appropriate updates below. We
apologize for the inconvenience.
Replacement pages for updated figures (PDF) - (pgs. 101, 114-117, 158, 165, 167-169)
Monograph Chapters (PDF Files)
- Monograph Cover
- Contents and Foreword - pgs. vi-ix
- Chapter Contributors - pgs. x-xii
- Introduction - pgs. 1-14
- Methods - pgs. 15-24
- Lymphomas and Reticuloendothelial Neoplasms - pgs. 25-38
- Leukemias - pgs. 39-52
- Malignant Melanoma - pgs. 53-64
- Central Nervous System Cancer - pgs. 65-80
- Soft Tissue Sarcomas - pgs. 81-96
- Malignant Bone Tumors - pgs. 97-110
- Breast Cancer - pgs. 111-122
- Colon and Rectal Cancer - pgs. 123-134
- Liver and Intrahepatic Bile Duct Cancers - pgs. 135-142
- Thyroid Cancer - pgs. 143-154
- Male Genital Tract Cancer - pgs. 155-162
- Female Genital Tract Cancer - pgs. 163-172
- Highlights and Challenges - pgs. 173-190
- Appendix I: Resources - pgs. 191-197
- Appendix II: International Classification of Childhood Cancer - pgs. 198-199
- Index - pgs. 200-205
- Citation, Acknowledgments, and Editors - pgs. iii-v
Download monograph in single file - 9.7 MB
Bleyer A, O’Leary M, Barr R, Ries LAG (eds): Cancer Epidemiology in Older Adolescents and Young Adults 15 to 29 Years of Age, Including SEER Incidence and Survival: 1975-2000. National Cancer Institute, NIH Pub. No. 06-5767. Bethesda, MD 2006.
All material in this report is in the public domain and may be reproduced or copied without permission; citation as to source, however, is appreciated.