SEER Survival Monograph: Cancer Survival Among Adults: US SEER Program, 1988-2001, Patient and Tumor Characteristics
This monograph examines cancer survival by patient and tumor characteristics for over 1.6 million adult cancers diagnosed during the period 1988-2001. Survival data are from NCI’s Surveillance, Epidemiology, and End Results (SEER) Program and represent cancer in approximately one-fourth of the U.S. population. The patient and tumor characteristics shown vary by cancer site. The tumor characteristics may include subsite, size of tumor, extension of the tumor, lymph nodes positive, distant metastases, and histologic type. The patient characteristics are age, race, and sex.
The monograph is provided in Portable Document Format (PDF). You may also order a printed copy of the book.
Monograph Chapters (PDF Files)
- Title, Acknowledgments, and Dedication - 742 KB
- Table of Contents and Contributors - 319 KB
- Introduction - 398 KB
- Cancers of the Head and Neck - 1 MB
- Digestive Cancers
- Cancers of the Esophagus, Stomach, and Small Intestine - 507 KB
- Cancers of the Colon and Rectum - 471 KB
- Cancer of the Anus - 431 KB
- Cancers of the Liver and Biliary Tract - 529 KB
- Cancer of the Pancreas - 466 KB
- Cancer of the Larynx - 473 KB
- Cancer of the Lung - 476 KB
- Cancers of the Bone and Joint - 502 KB
- Sarcomas - 346 KB
- Melanoma - 564 KB
- Cancer of the Female Breast - 532 KB
- Female Gynecologic Cancers
- Cancer of the Testis - 458 KB
- Cancer of the Prostate - 728 KB
- Cancer of the Urinary Bladder - 873 KB
- Cancers of the Kidney and Renal Pelvis - 758 KB
- Cancer of the Brain and Other Central Nervous System - 734 KB
- Cancer of the Thyroid - 524 MB
- Hodgkin Lymphoma - 587 KB
- Non-Hodgkin Lymphoma - 695 KB
- Leukemia - 569 KB
- Cancers of Rare Sites - 492 KB
- Race and Ethnicity - 499 kB
- Monograph Cover - 290 KB
Ries LAG, Young JL, Keel GE, Eisner MP, Lin YD, Horner M-J (editors). SEER Survival Monograph: Cancer Survival Among Adults: U.S. SEER Program, 1988-2001, Patient and Tumor Characteristics. National Cancer Institute, SEER Program, NIH Pub. No. 07-6215, Bethesda, MD, 2007.
Citation for a chapter should also include the chapter authors and chapter title.
All material in this report is in the public domain and may be reproduced or copied without permission; citation as to source, however, is appreciated.
Download the fact sheet, Cancer Survival Among Adults: U.S. SEER Program, 1988-2001 Patient and Tumor Characteristics (PDF).