Updated January 17, 2014
This manual and the corresponding database are to be used for coding cases diagnosed January 1, 2010 and forward. The changes made do not require registrars to recode old cases.
This site provides data collection rules for hematopoietic and lymphoid neoplasms for 2010+. There are two tools for use with these rules:
- Hematopoietic & Lymphoid Neoplasm Database (Heme DB)
- A tool to assist in screening for reportable cases and determining reportability requirements
- The database contains abstracting and coding information for all hematopoietic and lymphoid neoplasm (9590/3-9992/3)
- Hematopoietic & Lymphoid Neoplasm Coding Manual
- Reportability instructions and rules for determining the number of primaries, the primary site and histology, and the cell lineage or phenotype
- The introduction to the manual has an updated Steps in Priority Order for using the Hematopoietic and Lymphoid Neoplasm Coding Manual & Database.
The Heme DB is available in two formats: as a web-based tool and as stand-alone software. In this new version of the database, all information from the 2010 and 2012 databases, as well as other changes made during review of the information for the 2014 release, has been consolidated into one database. The option to switch between 2010 and 2012 versions has been removed.
Web-based Version of the Database
The Heme DB provided in a web-based format has several benefits over the software version:
- Updates are automatic: users do not have to install anything to access the latest revisions.
- Allows access from any computer or device with an Internet connection.
- Eliminates problems for users who do not have permission to install software on their work computers.
Information from the 2010 and 2012 databases has been consolidated into one database and all information for cases diagnosed from 2010 and forward is contained in this one database. There are also entries for some obsolete terms that were in effect for cases diagnosed 2001-2009. These entries are clearly marked as Obsolete.
Hematopoietic and Lymphoid Neoplasm Database and Coding Manual - For cases diagnosed January 1, 2010 and later.
Stand-alone Version of the Database
The stand-alone version of the database also contains the information from the 2010 and 2012 databases consolidated into one database. The web-based version of the Heme DB is the preferred method to access the current data. If you need the stand-alone version because of limited Internet access, it is still available for now, but may be phased out in the future. Note that the information in the stand-alone version of the database may not be as current as the web-based version. A new feature will soon be implemented to update the Heme data in the stand-alone version automatically whenever you have an Internet connection. An e-mail will be sent out when this new feature is available.
Download the Hematopoietic Database Software Version 2.3.1 (released January 21, 2014)
Ruhl J, Adamo M, Dickie L, Sun L, Johnson CH. (January 2014). Hematopoietic and Lymphoid Neoplasm Coding Manual. National Cancer Institute, Bethesda, MD 20850-9765.