Incidence Data for Detailed Asian/Pacific Islander Groups (1990-2008)
Since individuals could report a single race in the 1990 Census and multiple races in the 2000 Census, the following methodology was used to produce a consistent set of population denominators.
- The April 1 Census populations distributions by age, sex and detailed ethnicity of a given geography were applied to the July Census estimates to produce the mid-year estimates.
- The April 2000 estimates were derived as an average of the single race alone count and the count for single race alone or in combination with other races.
- The 1991-1999 were estimated by a linear interpolation between 1990 and 2000 July estimates.
- The 2001-2008 estimates were derived using a linear projection model.
- Improved population estimates provided by the Hawaii Tumor Registry were used for Hawaii.
For more details see:
Gomez SL, Noone AM, Lichtensztajn DY, Scoppa S, Gibson JT, Liu L, Morris C, Kwong S, Fish K, Wilkens LR, Goodman MT, Deapen D, Miller BA. Cancer Incidence Trends among Asian American Populations in the United States, 1990 to 2008. J Natl Cancer Inst 2013 Aug 7;105(15):1096-110. Epub 2013 Jul 22. [PubMed]
Liu L, Noone AM, Gomez SL, Scoppa S, Gibson JT, Lichtensztajn D, Fish K, Wilkens LR, Goodman MT, Morris C, Kwong S, Deapen D, Miller BA. Cancer Incidence Trends among Native Hawaiians and Other Pacific Islanders in the United States, 1990-2008. J Natl Cancer Inst 2013 Aug 7;105(15):1086-95. Epub 2013 Jul 22. [PubMed]
Access the Detailed Asian/Pacific Islander Database
In order to access the custom database, you must already have access to SEER research data through SEER*Stat in client-server mode. The data are not distributed on the SEER*Stat DVD or compressed data files
- If you do not have access to SEER data in client-server mode, first request Access the SEER data.
- If you already have access, send an email to email@example.com to request access to the Asian/Pacific Islander database. Please include a brief description of your research goals and the project in your email.
Race/Geography Available for Analysis
The following table shows the racial/ethnic group and geographic area combinations that are available for analysis with this database.
|Race/Ethnic Group||CAa||CT||HI||IA||NJ||NM||UT||Atlanta metrob||Detroit metrob||Seattle-Puget Soundb|
|x Indicates area was included in rate calculations.
a Includes cancer registries for San Francisco/Oakland, San Jose/Monterey, Los Angeles, and all remaining areas in California combined.
b Indicates number of counties within the 3-county Metropolitan Detroit area, 5-county Metropolitan Atlanta area, and the 13-county Seattle-Puget Sound area for which population estimates were NOT suppressed by the Census Bureau, and thus could be included in the incidence analyses.
c Incidence rates calculated for combined group of Asian Indians & Pakistanis due to SEER program coding rule.
|Asian Indian or Pakistanic||x||x||x||x||x||3||x||2|
Researchers must send a copy of any manuscript or book chapter to the firstname.lastname@example.org prior to submitting it to a journal for review.
The review is to ensure the confidentiality of individuals in the data. The review is not intended to assess the scientific merit of a manuscript. Researchers are not required to submit copies of meeting abstracts or power point presentations for review.