SEER Data, 1973-2014
(Including July-December 2005 Hurricane Katrina Impacted Louisiana Cases)
The SEER research data include SEER incidence and population data associated by age, sex, race, year of diagnosis, and geographic areas (including SEER registry and county). A signed Research Data Agreement is required to access these data. Use of these data for publication purposes should contain a citation which includes submission and release dates. See Citations for SEER Data and SEER*Stat Software for specific suggestions regarding the citation format.
Number of Records in the SEER Research Data
The numbers provided in the table below are for the most recent SEER research data release and the previous release. Malignant and In Situ cases are defined using the SEER Behavior Recode for Analysis.
|All Cases*||Malignant Cases||Malignant +
In Situ Cases
|1973-2014 Data (Nov 2016 Submission)||9,675,661||8,662,369||9,429,379|
|1973-2013 Data (Nov 2015 Submission)||9,176,963||8,234,845||8,958,804|
|Increase from 2015 to 2016 Submission||498,698||427,524||470,575|
|Number of 2014 cases||482,000||416,914||459,473|
* All Cases includes benign and borderline brain and CNS tumors, cases coded as no longer reportable in ICD-O-3 and as only malignant in ICD-O-3 or 2010+. See SEER Behavior Recode for more information.
SEER Database Details
- PSA Values and SEER Data - explanation for the removal of PSA values from SEER data.
- Radiation/Chemotherapy Databases - radiation treatment variables were removed from the research data, but are available through a custom data request.
- SEER*Stat Databases - details of each database available in SEER*Stat including a dictionary of SEER variables.
- Documentation for the ACSII Data Files - record descriptions and links to codes and coding instructions.
See Number of SEER Participants by Race and Hispanic Ethnicity for the percentage of the U.S. population covered for each registry and registry combinations provided in SEER*Stat.