For Cases Diagnosed 1/1/2018 and Forward
Beginning with cancer cases diagnosed January 1, 2018 and forward, SEER registries in the United States will be collecting Extent of Disease (EOD) information. The three main data items will be EOD Primary Tumor, EOD Regional Nodes and EOD Mets. Using these three data items, a EOD TNM T, EOD TNM N and EOD TNM M will be derived, along with an EOD TNM Stage Group based on the AJCC 8th edition. SEER has developed a staging database referred to as the SEER*RSA that provides information about each cancer (primary site/histology/other factors defined).
This page provides resources including the General Coding Instructions for EOD and the Summary Stage 2018 Staging Manual.
- Extent of Disease 2018 General Instructions (PDF, 337 KB)
- Summary Stage 2018 Manual (coming soon)
- Site-Specific Data Item Manual (PDF)
- Grade Manual (PDF)
For Cases Diagnosed 1/1/2016 - 12/31/2017
Beginning with cancer cases diagnosed January 1, 2016, cancer registries in the United States transitioned from collecting cancer stage information using Collaborative Stage (CS) to collecting stage using the TNM classification. TNM categories, stage groups, and definitions used by SEER are based on the TNM Classification of Malignant Tumours, 7th Edition. SEER developed a staging database referred to as the SEER*RSA that provides information about each cancer (primary site/histology/other factors defined).
This page provides resources including Section V of the 2016 SEER Program Manual, comparison and mapping between staging systems, and more information about UICC TNM staging.
The Commission on Cancer (CoC) released an email to clarify the use of ambiguous terminology. SEER agrees with this notice and asks that the SEER registries follow these instructions (EXE) .
SEER*RSA TNM Schema Mapping to UICC 7th edition, AJCC 7th edition, and Summary Stage 2000
These spreadsheets map the 153 Schemas in SEER*RSA to the other staging systems. Details on site and histologies included for each schema and staging type are detailed in the SEER*RSA TNM schema page for each schema.
- TNM Schema Mapping Quick Reference (XLS, 68 KB)
- Detailed TNM Schema Mapping (XLSX, 26 KB) - This spreadsheet is more extensive than the quick reference and includes primary sites, histologies, SSF 25, etc.
The Union for International Cancer Control (UICC) website provides information about the organization and their global efforts to accelerate the fight against cancer. The UICC is an informative resource for learning about TNM including:
- Information about TNM (what it is, why and how it should be used, and more).
- TNM E-Learning Modules.
- Additional resources, including links to publications, such as TNM Classification of Malignant Tumours, 7th Edition, as well as the history of TNM.
- The TNM Helpdesk to ask questions and access the FAQ page.