The following combinations of SEER registries are available in the SEER databases and are commonly used in statistical analyses. Their names represent the number of registries included in the grouping.
- SEER 8 (previously 9*) - Available for cases diagnosed from 1975 through the current data year.
- SEER 12 (previously 13*) - Available for cases diagnosed from 1992 through the current data year and includes expanded races.
- SEER 17 (previously 18*) - Available for cases diagnosed from 2000 through the current data year and includes expanded races.
- SEER 22 (previously 21*)- Available for cases diagnosed from 2000 through the current data year and includes expanded races. It has a more limited set of available variables than other groupings and is only available for limited statistics.
* Starting with the 1975-2019 SEER Research Data (November 2021 submission), Detroit is no longer included in any databases, and Illinois and Texas are included in the new 22-registry database.
The table below lists the SEER registries (past and present), which years of data are available, and the registry groupings in which each registry is included.
|Registry||Years of Diagnoses||SEER 8||SEER 12||SEER 17||SEER 22|
|a Data from the Arizona Indians and Cherokee Nation are not available in the SEER Research Data.
b Detroit is a research support registry and no longer under contract to submit data. It was included in previous data releases.
|Alaska Native Tumor Registry||1992-2020||X||X||X|
|Georgia Center for Cancer Statistics|
|Greater Bay Area Cancer Registry|
For the numbers and percentage of individuals in each grouping, see Number of Persons by Race and Hispanic Ethnicity for SEER Participants.
Databases with Varying Registry/Year Groupings
In databases through the 1975-2016 SEER Research Data, SEER research databases that do not require population data (e.g., for calculating frequencies and survival) were available with varying registries and years of data. In these databases,
- SEER 9 registries contribute cases diagnosed from 1975 through the current data year.
- Los Angeles, San Jose-Monterey, Rural Georgia and the Alaska Native Tumor Registry contribute cases from the period 1992 through the current data year; and
- Greater California, Kentucky, Louisiana, New Jersey, Greater Georgia, Idaho, Massachusetts, and New York contribute cases from 2000 through the current data year, with the exception of the July - December 2005 Louisiana cases.
SEER recommends that when performing an analysis, you subset based on year or registry so you have consistent geographic coverage for the period of the analysis. Starting with the 1975-2017 SEER Research Data, SEER no longer provides databases with varying registries and years of data.