Applications to use SEER Residual Tissue Repository (RTR) specimens should be sent to email@example.com. A one or two page summary of the concept and a completed SEER RTR Biospecimen Request Form (PDF, 52 KB) [PDF - 52 KB] are required. If RTR resources match the study needs, NCI will provide the investigator with information on how to proceed.
On this page:
- Application Components
- Criteria for Review and Application Tips
- Application Approval and Project Deliverables
Between the summary and Biospecimen Request Form, applications should include the following information:
- Investigator contact information:
- Institutional affiliation
- Street address
- E-mail address
- Work and fax phone numbers
- ICD-O-3 site and morphology codes for tumors of interest
- Summary of proposed study:
- Scope of work
- Specific aims
- Scientific background and rationale
- Feasibility of study
- Experience with proposed laboratory methods
- Quantity and type of tissue
- Source of funding
- Any other key information
Criteria for Review and Application Tips:
- Hypotheses: Because RTR biospecimen resources are limited, proposals are prioritized based on the quality of population-based hypotheses. Investigators without a strong population-based rationale are encouraged to consider other sources for biospecimens.
- Applicability of results: Applicants are encouraged to include a power calculation for anticipated associations, based on estimates such as the prevalence of biomarkers in tumors and anticipated association with outcome.
- Investigators: Priority is also given to proposals that demonstrate investigator experience with assays in the protocol. Qualified researchers include epidemiologists, pathologists, and other medical professionals who are peer-reviewed and funded at government, academic, and nonprofit institutions.
- Research regulations: Assurance is expected that specimen-associated data are maintained in compliance with HIPAA provisions. For more information, see the Research Regulations section.
Guidance on proposals is available from the RTR Committee at a monthly teleconference held from 3:00pm Eastern time on the third Wednesday of each month. A proposal and SEER RTR Biospecimens Request Form (PDF, 52 KB) [PDF - 52 KB] should be submitted to firstname.lastname@example.org at least one week before the call. This allows review and a decision on whether to include the proposal on the agenda.
Application Approval and Project Deliverables
After application is approved:
- Investigator and registries will develop registry-specific technical protocols and budgets, reflecting activities of each registry.
- Institutional human subjects’ approvals and material transfer agreements will be completed.
- Biospecimens will be shipped to the receiving institution according to specifications.
- Investigators provide periodic progress reports to the SEER RTR Committee.
- Manuscripts undergo clearance by the SEER RTR Committee.
- RTR personnel who contribute to a manuscript will be included as co-authors.
- Upon completion of the project, data will be shared with NCI’s RTR coordinator.