Seer.cancer.gov is the website for the Surveillance, Epidemiology, and End Results (SEER) Program at the National Cancer Institute (NCI). NCI is the U.S. government’s principal agency for cancer research. NCI is mandated by U.S. law to disseminate information about cancer and cancer research. This website serves as an important means to achieve that mission.
Information about Cancer Statistics
SEER is supported by the Surveillance Research Program (SRP) in NCI's Division of Cancer Control and Population Sciences (DCCPS). SEER collects and publishes cancer incidence and survival data from population-based cancer registries covering approximately 28 percent of the U.S. population. These data are collected on every cancer case reported from 20 U.S. geographic areas. Because these areas are representative of the demographics of the entire U.S. population, SEER is able to account for diverse populations throughout the U.S. SEER also reports mortality data, which are provided by the National Center for Health Statistics.
This website offers a broad array of resources related to cancer statistics and cancer registration:
- The Cancer Statistics section offers statistical summaries, reports, and videos, including those for specific cancer sites, as well as a glossary. Also available are citations and abstracts for publications of SEER data, monographs on methodologic topics, and web-based tools for creating statistical tables, graphs, and maps from various data sources.
- The SEER Data & Software section describes how to access the SEER Incidence Database, specialized SEER datasets, U.S. mortality data, county population estimates, county attributes, standard populations (age distributions used as weights), expected survival, and SEER-linked databases. The section also offers variable definitions and other documentation related to reporting and using SEER and related datasets, as well as statistical software including SEER*Stat, SEER*Prep, and the Health Disparities Calculator (HD*Calc).
- The Registrars section provides guidelines, tools, and resources for cancer registrars. These include coding and staging manuals, a glossary, a drug database (SEER*Rx), a SEER abstracting tool (SEER*Abs), Q&A resources, and training modules for cancer registration and surveillance. Visitors to this section can also read announcements pertaining to SEER or join an e-mail list.
- The News section features coverage of publications that have analyzed SEER data. Visitors to this section can also access SRP’s Twitter feed or read posts from SRP’s Toward Precision Cancer Surveillance blog.
- The About section offers detailed information about SEER registries and the history and research activities of the SEER Program.
Usability of the Website
NCI regularly seeks input from site visitors through online surveys and by conducting audience research and usability testing. The findings from this research help us present content in ways that meet the needs of our audiences.
Comments about the SEER Website
This website is designed to effectively deliver information about cancer statistics and related methods and tools whenever and wherever you want them – on your computer, tablet, or smartphone.