Use the 2018 Solid Tumor coding rules to determine the number of primaries to abstract and the histology to code for cases diagnosed 2018 and forward. The Solid Tumor coding rules replace the 2007 Multiple Primary and Histology ( MP/H) Rules.
The NCI SEER Program Solid Tumor Task Force is posting draft versions of the 2018 Solid Tumor Coding Rules so that registrars may assess the revised rules prior to posting the final rules. Solid Tumor site rules will be marked as “Draft” until they are finalized.
What you need to know about the 2018 Solid Tumor Rules
Eight site groups have been revised for 2018:
- Head & Neck
- Colon (includes rectosigmoid and rectum for cases diagnosed 1/1/2018 forward)
- Urinary Sites
- Non-malignant CNS
- Malignant CNS and Peripheral Nerves
The 2007 Multiple Primary & Histology rules will be used with a few small changes for cases diagnosed 1/1/2007 to 12/31/2018 for the following site groups:
- Cutaneous melanoma
- Cutaneous melanoma site rules will be revised for 2019 implementation to incorporate information from the new WHO 4th Ed Tumors of Skin scheduled to be released in 2018.
- Other sites
- Primary sites excluded are:
- Rectosigmoid and rectum which are included in 2018 Colon rules.
- Peripheral nerves which are included in 2018 Malignant Brain rules.
- Other sites rules will be revised for 2019 implementation. The Solid Tumor Task Force has identified the need to expand the rules to include GYN, soft tissue, thyroid and other site-specific solid tumors.
Using the Draft 2018 Solid Tumor Rules
There are two options for using the 2018 draft rules:
- Use the draft rules for 2018 cases, but flag cases for review when the final rules are posted, OR
- Do not use the draft rules for 2018 cases. When final rules are posted, review any 2018 cases which have been abstracted and make changes as specified in the final rules.
Final 2018 Solid Tumor Rules
Finalized 2018 Solid Tumor rules will be posted and marked “FINAL” once the task force:
- Ensures newly recommended ICD-O-3 histology terms and codes have been incorporated into the rules.
- Ensures the revised rules accurately reflect the ICD-O-3 and World Health Organization Classification of Tumors editors’ intent and purpose.
- Addresses the need for additional notes and examples to clarify rules.
Download the Solid Tumor Modules
- General Instructions (Final) (PDF, 674 KB) - released 6/25/2018
- Head & Neck (Draft) (PDF, 2.1 MB)
- Colon (Final) (PDF, 966 KB) - updated 7/3/2018
- Lung (Final) (PDF, 954 KB) - updated 6/28/2018
- Cutaneous Melanoma (Final) (PDF, 664 KB) - released 7/3/2018. Use for cases diagnosed 2007-2018
- Breast (Final) (PDF, 1.2 MB) - updated 7/19/2018
- Kidney (Final) (PDF, 852 KB) - released 7/19/2018
- Urinary Sites (Final) (PDF, 1.8 MB) - updated 7/19/2018
- Malignant CNS and Peripheral Nerves (Draft) (PDF, 1.8 MB)
- Non-Malignant CNS Tumors (Draft) (PDF, 1.3 MB)
- Other Sites (Final) (PDF, 663 KB) - released 7/3/2018. Use for cases diagnosed 2007-2018
The change log contains updates made to the FINAL module sections. This does not include changes made to the drafts.
Dickie L., Johnson, CH., Adams, S., Negoita, S. (June 2018). Solid Tumor Rules. National Cancer Institute, Rockville, MD 20850.