Use the 2018 Solid Tumor coding rules to determine the number of primaries to abstract and the histology to code for cases diagnosed 1/1/2018 and forward. The Solid Tumor coding rules and the 2018 General Instructions replace the 2007 Multiple Primary & Histology (MP/H) Rules for the following sites ONLY:
- Colon (includes rectosigmoid and rectum for cases diagnosed 1/1/2018 forward)
- Head & Neck
- Malignant CNS and Peripheral Nerves
- Non-malignant CNS
- Urinary Sites
The 2007 MP/H and 2007 General Instructions are to be used, with a few exceptions, for cases diagnosed 1/1/2007 to 12/31/2018 for the following site groups:
Cutaneous melanoma site rules will be revised for 2020 Implementation to incorporate information from the new 4th Ed Tumors of Skin scheduled to be released end of 2018.
The following primary sites are excluded for 1/1/2018 forward:
- Rectosigmoid and rectum which are included in 2018 Colon rules
- Peripheral nerves which are included in 2018 Malignant CNS rules
Other Sites rules will be revised for 2020 implementation. The Solid Tumor Task Force has identified the need to expand the rules to include GYN, soft tissue, thyroid, and other solid tumors.
Download the Solid Tumor Modules*
- General Instructions (PDF, 675 KB) - updated 8/2/2018
- Head & Neck (PDF, 1.0 MB) - released 8/30/2018
- Colon (PDF, 968 KB) - updated 8/8/2018
- Lung (PDF, 954 KB) - updated 8/23/2018
- Cutaneous Melanoma (PDF, 664 KB) - use for cases diagnosed 1/1/2007-12/31/2018
- Breast (PDF, 1.2 MB) - updated 8/20/2018
- Kidney (PDF, 852 KB) - released 7/19/2018
- Urinary Sites (PDF, 1.8 MB) - updated 8/8/2018
- Malignant CNS and Peripheral Nerves (PDF, 1.1 MB) - updated 8/16/2018
- Non-Malignant CNS Tumors (PDF, 1.1 MB) - updated 8/13/2018
- Other Sites (PDF, 644 KB) - use for cases diagnosed 1/1/2007-12/31/2018 - updated 9/11/2018
* A consolidated PDF will be available soon.
The change log contains updates made to the FINAL module sections. Date of the most current update is noted on the bottom of each page within the site group module.
Dickie L., Johnson, CH., Adams, S., Negoita, S. (June 2018). Solid Tumor Rules. National Cancer Institute, Rockville, MD 20850.