The Multiple Primary and Histology Coding Rules are available in three formats: flowchart, matrix and text. The different formats were developed to meet the needs of different learning styles. The rules are identical in each of the three formats. Using all three formats is not recommended. It is best to choose one format. Do not combine old rules with the new.
The MP/H Rules manual is available in PDF format and may be downloaded below as a single file or by section. If you purchased the manual from NCRA, download the replacement pages for the Data Items section below.
Release Notes: The Manual Sections and Complete Manual in a single PDF incorporate all the revisions through 08/24/2012.
MP/H Rules Manual with Replacement Pages
You must first read the "Multiple Primary Instructions and Histology Instructions" and appropriate "Terms and Definitions" in order to use the rules properly. Please read and follow those instructions.
- Cover, Table of Contents, Preface (PDF, 564 KB)
- Multiple Primary Instructions and Histology Instructions (PDF, 553 KB)
- Terms & Definitions - Multiple Primary and Histology Coding Rules (PDF, 2.3 MB)
- Multiple Primary and Histology Coding Rules
- Data Items (PDF, 185 KB) - effective for cases diagnosed 1/1/2012 (revised 08/24/2012)
- Appendix A: Histology Coding Committee and Project Roster (PDF, 559 KB)
- Appendix B: Commission on Cancer Site Teams (PDF, 516 KB)
Complete Manual in a single PDF (PDF, 3.8 MB) (revised 08/24/2012) - Includes Data Items effective for cases diagnosed 1/1/2012.
- Data Items for cases diagnosed from 2007-2009, refer to the original Data Items section (PDF, 592 KB).
If you have already downloaded and printed an earlier version of the manual, you can access the replacement pages below separately to insert into your copy.
- Data Items - released 08/24/2012 (PDF, 185 KB) - effective for cases diagnosed 1/1/2012
- Data Items - released 09/27/2011 (PDF, 89 KB) - effective for cases diagnosed 1/1/2011
- Data Items - released 10/14/2010 (PDF, 156 KB) - effective for cases diagnosed 1/1/2010
- Benign Brain & CNS (PDF, 1.0 MB) - released 5/6/2008
- February 2008 (PDF, 292 KB) - released 2/8/2008
- November 2007 (Includes Clarifications issued January 2008) (PDF, 777 KB) - released 1/8/2008
Johnson CH, Peace S, Adamo P, Fritz A, Percy-Laurry A, Edwards BK. The 2007 Multiple Primary and Histology Coding Rules. National Cancer Institute, Surveillance, Epidemiology and End Results Program. Bethesda, MD, 2007.