The following resources provide variable definitions and other documentation related to reporting and using SEER and related datasets.
- Behavior Recode for Analysis - definition of the variable and how it was created for each data release.
- Cancer Stage Variables - definitions of stage variables based on AJCC and changes to SEER staging definitions over time.
- Cause of Death Recode - definitions of site groupings based on the International Classification of Diseases.
- Cause-specific Death Classification - defined for use in cause-specific survival calculations.
- Incidence Site Recode Variables
- AYA Site Recode - adapted classification scheme for tumors of adolescents and young adults (AYA).
- International Classification of Childhood Cancer (ICCC) - definitions based on site and morphology coded according to ICD-O-2 or ICD-O-3.
- Lymphoma Subtype Recode - based on a classification scheme of lymphoid neoplasms.
- Site Recode - definitions of major cancer sites based on the primary site and histology.
- Insurance Recode - derived from the NAACCR field, Primary Payer at Diagnosis.
- Months Survived Based on Complete Dates - an algorithm that uses day information in the survival calculation.
- Policy for Calculating Hispanic Mortality - used to exclude data from states for years when data on Hispanic and non-Hispanic mortality may be unreliable.
- Site Specific Surgery (1983-1997) - specifies information on surgery during first course of therapy whether it was cancer-directed or not.
SEER Coding & Staging Manuals - codes and coding instructions for SEER data and extent of disease.