SEER*Explorer Revision History
The following list details updates to the data and features available in SEER*Explorer.
Sep 1 2022
- The application was updated to include mortality estimates through 2020.
- Recent Trends in Survival, 2000-2018 were added to the application.
- The survival and prevalence estimates were updated to reflect corrections made to the underlying SEER data release.
- The ability to show the number of cases for incidence and survival estimates, and the number of deaths for mortality estimates was added to the application.
- Buttons to 'Select All' and 'Clear All' options were added to the Select Cancer Sites to Compare window.
- The display of prevalence estimates were updated to present the data table by default with the prevalence count and prevalence percent both shown in the table. The graphs for prevalence are still available, but only include the prevalence percent in the graph.
Jul 13 2022
- The application was not presenting estimates correctly when multiple cancer sites were compared with the sex or stage at diagnosis variables. Estimates may have appeared in the wrong rows within the data table. The issue has been addressed. Any estimates obtained from this type of cross-comparison since the April 15, 2022 release should be reviewed.
- When a user copies the URL link of the selected estimates, the display settings for either the graph or data table are now preserved when the link is shared.
Apr 15 2022
- The application was updated with incidence, survival, prevalence and lifetime risk estimates based on the SEER November 2021 submission and including the 2019 diagnosis year.
- The SEER areas included in the SEER*Explorer data sources have changed due to changes in which registries are included with this data submission. The groupings are now referred to as SEER 8, SEER 12, SEER 17, and SEER 22. Refer to Registry Groupings in SEER Data and Statistics for details.
- SEER's recommendations for producing statistics by race and origin changed. SEER*Explorer statistics align as much as possible with the new recommendations which include five mutually exclusive categories: Non-Hispanic White, Non-Hispanic Black, Non-Hispanic Asian/Pacific Islander (API), Non-Hispanic American Indian/Alaska Native (AI/AN) and Hispanic. Refer to Race and Hispanic Ethnicity Changes for more information.
- The ability to compare multiple cancer sites in a single graph or data table was added for the majority of available statistics. Select Compare Cancer Sites from the Get Started with a Cancer Site dropdown list.
- The Recent Trends in Survival that are typically part of the April updates are still in development and will be added to SEER*Explorer when complete.
Feb 1 2022
- A new feature was added to the Recent Trends and Long-term Trends graphs for Incidence, Mortality, and Survival statistics. An information panel can now be displayed next to the graph that shows the Annual Percent Change (APC) estimates for Incidence and Mortality statistics, or the Average Absolute Change in Survival (AAC_S) estimates for Survival statistics. To show the APC or AAC_S, check the 'View APC' (or 'View AAC_S' for Survival) checkbox located above the graph.
Sep 27 2021
- The application was updated to include mortality estimates through 2019.
Aug 9 2021
- The survival by survival time and conditional survival estimates presented for stage specific cancer estimates presented the wrong year range of 2000-2017. The year range has been corrected to 2004-2017.
Jul 12 2021
- The confidence intervals presented for the annual survival rates under survival recent trends were incorrect. The estimates have been corrected.
Apr 23 2021
- The age-adjusted prevalence percentages presented for age groups smaller than 'All Ages' were not properly age-adjusted to the 2000 U.S. Standard population. The estimates have been corrected.
Apr 15 2021
- The application was updated with incidence, survival, prevalence and lifetime risk estimates based on the SEER November 2020 submission.
- Subtypes for Brain and Other Nervous System and Non-mailgnant Brain and Other Nervous System were added to the application based on the new SEER Brain/CNS Recode.
- Starting with the November 2020 data submission, SEER now uses "Behavior code ICD-O-3" rather than the "Behavior recode for analysis" field in SEER*Stat and any published statistics. For more information, please see Behavior Variable Changes.
- Conditional survival estimates were added for a majority of the available cancer sites.
Feb 10 2021
- A new option was added to the Choose a Statistic to Explore options, Incidence and Mortality Comparison, which allows users to dispaly SEER Incidence and U.S. Mortality series on several of the existing graph types.
Sep 14 2020
- The application was updated to include mortality estimates through 2018.
- Delay-adjusted rates, when available, are the default rate type shown for SEER Incidence statistics.
Apr 15 2020
- The application was updated with incidence, survival, mortality, prevalence and lifetime risk estimates based on the SEER November 2019 submission.
- A new user-interface for the application is also part of this release.
Apr 15 2019
- The application was updated with incidence, survival, mortality, prevalence and lifetime risk estimates based on the SEER November 2018 submission.
Statistics for several subtypes of larger cancer groupings including:
- Breast Cancer
- Esophagus Cancer
- Lung and Bronchus Cancer
- Thyroid Cancer
- Charts for complete and limited-duration prevalence were added to the application.
- Charts for 5-year recent rates were added for incidence and mortality.
Apr 16 2018
- The application was updated with incidence, survival, mortality and lifetime risk estimates based on the SEER November 2017 submission.
- Survival Trends charts were added to the application.
- Charts for lifetime risk estimates were added to the application.
- Relative survival for Asian/Pacific Islanders and Hispanic ethnicities were added to the five-year survival and survival by time since diagnosis charts.
Dec 1 2017
- The user interface was updated based on feedback from usability testing.
May 18 2017
- The relative survival estimates available under Survival->5-year survival were corrected. Previous estimates were cause-specific survival estimates. The estimates are now relative survival estimates.
Apr 14 2017
- The application was updated with incidence, survival and mortality estimates based on the SEER November 2016 submission.
Apr 15 2016
- The application was released with incidence and mortality estimates based on the SEER November 2015 submission.