Active surveillance (watchful waiting) information has been collected by SEER for prostate cancer cases diagnosed from 2010 to 2016. The database includes a variable that indicates whether the initial intent of the physician and patient was to manage the disease by active surveillance or watchful waiting. The decision or plan for active surveillance had to be documented. Information was collected as North American Association of Central Cancer Registries (NAACCR) item RX SUMM-Treatment status. Cases coded as Active Surveillance by at least one facility with no known reports of initial curative intent treatment have been recoded as Watchful Waiting =” yes.” All other cases diagnosed 2010 and later have been by default recoded to “No/Unknown.” This latter category includes patients who were recommended treatment but refused it. It also includes patients whose physicians decided not to treat for reasons such as the presence of comorbidities.
Clinical primary tumor category extension (cT) is a clinical feature with high prognostic risk value that is frequently used by clinicians and researchers for risk stratification. For cases diagnosed between 2004 and 2015, the cT category should be inferred from the CS Extension (2004-2015) field. A conversion table between CS Extension and AJCC 7 T is available on the SEER Registrar Staging Assistant website. For cases diagnosed in year 2016, a newly added data field, TNM Clin T (2016+), is recommended for risk stratification.
The database is available in the frequency, case listing, rate, and survival sessions in SEER*Stat for the November 2018 data submission.
How to Access the Prostate with Watchful Waiting Database
In order to access the custom database, you must already have access to SEER research data through SEER*Stat in client-server mode.
- If you do not have access to SEER data in client-server mode, first request Access to the SEER data.
- If you already have access, send an email to email@example.com to request access to the Prostate with Watchful Waiting Database.
- Include your SEER*Stat username.
- Since access to the Prostate with Watchful Waiting Database includes treatment data, a Data Use Agreement for SEER Radiation Therapy and Chemotherapy Information is required regardless of whether you intend to use treatment fields. If you have not already completed this DUA for the current submission, please complete and return it by email.
- Add a brief description of your project and research goals in the email, including the types of analyses or statistics you will use, including how you would use treatment data, if you intend to use it.
- Additionally, if you require access to the standard radiation/chemotherapy databases, please include this request in your email.